Southern Rhode Island’s 40 Brightest Stars Award honoreesSeven islanders in the group
Congratulations! That's the first word several Block Islanders read in a letter they received informing them about being chosen one of Rhode Island's brightest stars. "You have been recognized as one of the best and brightest individuals in our region. Your peers have nominated you because you have consistently demonstrated excellence in your profession, as well as leadership, commitment and service to the community."
Those receiving the Southern RI 40 Brightest Stars Award this year are Martha Ball, former member of the Block Island Tourism Council; Linda Closter, Block Island nurse; George Dodge for his work with Blues on the Block; Marguerite Donnelly for her work in the community; Adrian Mitchell of the Block Island Conservancy; Tristan Payne for his work with the B.I, Fire Department; Lisa Sprague for her work with the Block Island Rescue Squad and Carrie Todd for her work with the Ecumenical Choir.
"I was very honored and very appreciative of the people who recognize the time I've put into the choir," said Todd of the award.
"Having been raised here, we have a long history of helping one another, so I've learned from the best," said Maguerite Donnelly. "Seeing the members of the community that I'm sharing this with really is a great honor."
The award is produced as a joint effort between the Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Area Chamber of Commerce, the Narragansett Chamber of Commerce, the Charlestown Chamber of Commerce, the Block Island Chamber of Commerce, and So Rhode Island. These awards recognize 40 of the best and brightest individuals in our communities that have consistently demonstrated excellence in their profession, as well as leadership, commitment, and service to the region.
Here is the full list of this year’s honorees:
- Jeanne Abate: Senior Mortgage Originator, Westerly Community Credit Union
- Renee Bailey: Customer Service Representative, Savings Institute
- Martha Ball: Block Island Tourism Council
- Steve Brophy: Owner, Brickley’s Ice cream
- Barbara Capalbo: Co-Owner, Lighting & Design
- Meribeth Carcieri: Manager, KC Shoes at the Pier
- Barbara Cardiff: Co-Owner of Villa Bed and Breakfast
- Linda Closter: Block Island Nurse
- Ann Cook: Vice President and Branch Manager, Washington Trust Company (Charlestown)
- Peter Dandurand: Owner/Broker, Dandurand Real Estate
- Lori Delfosse: Clinic Integration & Liaison, South County Hospital. Owner, Eden Studio
- George Dodge: Blues on the Block
- Marguerite Donnelly: Community Member
- Patti DeWardener: Co-Owner, Yawgoo Valley Ski & Recreation
- 15. Elizabeth Eckel: Senior Vice President, Marketing and Investor Relations, Washington Trust Company
- Darlene Evans: Co-Owner, Padgett Business Services
- Linda Gagnon: Information Technology Manager, AT&T. Director of the Family Supper Table Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Dawn Horstmann: Frosty Drew Nature Center
- Dr. Seychell Hoffer: Owner/Veterinarian, The Atlantic Animal Hospital and Wellness Center
- Steven J. King: Managing Director, Quonsett Development Corporation
- Jim LeDonne: General Manager, Amalfi Catering
- Derek Lombard: Vice President/Director of Human Resources, Embrace Home Loans
- Pam Lyons: Vice President, Ocean House Marina
- George McAuliffe: Business Manager, Mews Tavern
- Vanessa Miller: Enrichment Teacher, Narragansett Pier School
- Adrian Mitchell: Caretaker, Block Island Nature Conservancy
- Megan Moynihan: Partner, Oyster Works
- Robert Nadolillo Jr.: President, Nardolillo Funeral Home
- Tristan Payne: Chief, Block Island Fire Department
- Timothy Pelleccione: Owner, Pelly’s Place
- Kirk Pickell: Narragansett Lions
- Ray Quinlan: Co-Owner, Hi Tech Profiles
- Perry Raso: Owner, Matunuck Oyster Bar
- Andrew Robinson: Randall Realtors
- Donna Simmons: Senior Executive/General Manager, The Ocean House. President, Watch Hill Memorial Library
- Lisa Sprague: Block Island Rescue Squad.
- Nick Stahl: Executive Director, Westerly Hospital Foundation/ L&M Healthcare
- Lydia Teixeira: Co-Founder / Vice President of Finance, HTP Meds
- Howard Thorp: President, Thorp and Trainer
- Carrie Todd: Ecumenical Choir
The celebration will take place at The Village Inn in Narragansett on Thursday Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. Tickets are available for $60 each and may be purchased at any of the participating chambers: The Block Island Chamber of Commerce (1-800-383-2474), Charlestown Chamber of Commerce (401-364-3878), Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Area Chamber of Commerce (401-596-7761), and the Narragansett Chamber of Commerce (401-783-7121). Corporate tables are also available for the event; the cost is $675 and includes nine (9) tickets at a reserved table with one of the award honorees and a half page ad for the honoree of your choice. Price includes dinner, awards ceremony and a live band. The Village Inn will offer special rates for Block Island overnight guests.