Public Notices - January 11, 2014Issue #2
Not a legal posting: agenda may be amended after press time
Final agenda at Town Hall, Post Office, Library & new-shoreham.com
New Shoreham Town Council Agenda
Town Hall, Old Town Road, Block Island
Monday, January 15, 2014
- Public Hearing: Proposed amendment to TNS Revised Ordinances re: Motor Vehicles for Hire, Sec. 8-163 (b)
- Review and act on Hawkers and Peddlers license applications
- Act on MOU between RIDEM and TNS re: Non-recreational deer management plan (culling)
- Receive and act on TNS Police Dept. monthly report: December 2013
- Receive and act on BI Tourism Council subcommittee presentation re: tourism services
- Continued item: Receive and act on Councilman Warfel request re: street light tariff
• receive report re: need of BIPCo to develop a new street lighting tariff;
• act on TNS position re: street light tariff and/or ownership of street lights
- Receive and act on TNS Historic District Commission memo re: enforcement of sign ordinance
- Discuss renewal of contract between Town of New Shoreham and RI DOT re: state roads
- Receive and act on letter from Law Office of Blake A. Filipi on behalf of Sewer Commission and Water Board re: business licenses and past due sewer or water usage charges
10. Receive and act on Town Manager request re: sheaf of documents presented by Councilman Warfel at July 29, 2013 Town Council meeting (continued from 12/4/13)
11. Boards, Committees & Commissions
• Act on Old Harbor Task Group appointment
• Announce Board, Committee and Commission openings
13. Receive and discuss schedule for development of FY15 Budget, and other meeting schedules
14. Receive Town Solicitor reports:
- Waste Haulers BI, LLC vs. Block Island Recycling Management, Inc, et als (WC 11-729) “Transfer Station Litigation”
- Economic Development Corporation regulations
15. Receive Town Solicitor report re: TNS vs. Filippi et al (WCSC2004-0115) “Old Harbor Triangle” (this discussions may be held in closed session pursuant to Rhode Island General Law §42-46-5(a)(2) for discussions pertaining to litigation)
16. Receive Town Solicitor report re: Notice of presentment to Council of Claim or Demand Against Town Pursuant to RIGL 45-15-5 (Renz and Cotter / BI Land Trust) (these discussions may be held in closed session pursuant to Rhode Island General Law §42-46-5(a)(2) for discussions pertaining to litigation)
Individuals requesting interpreter services for the deaf and hard of hearing must call (401) 466-3200 forty-eight hours in advance of the meeting date. TTY: 711. Posted: January 9, 1014/FF
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
The Trial Court
Probate and Family Court Department
BRISTOL Division Docket No. BR13D20B1PR
Summons By Publication
Christina Marques, Plaintiff(s)
Vinicius Novaes, Defendant(s)
To the above named Defendants): Vinicius Novaes.
A Complaint has been presented to this Court by the Plaintiff(s), Christina Marques seeking Judgment of annulment. You are required to serve upon Christina Marques - plaintiff(s) - whose address is 59 Leisure Lane, East Taunton, MA 02718. Your answer on or before March 31, 2014. If you fail to do so, the court will proceed to the hearing and adjudication of this action. You are also required to file a copy of your answer in the office of the Register of this Court at Taunton.
Witness, Anthony R. Nesi, Esquire, First Justice of said Court at Taunton, this 23rd day of
Block Island Land Trust
Monday, January 13, 2014, 4:00* p.m.
Town Hall, Old Town Road, Block Island, RI
(*Please note new meeting time)
4:00* PM – Open Session:
1. Public Input
a. Award Stewardship Bids for 2014
b. Ocean View: Beach Access
3. Updates to TNS Comprehensive Plan
4. Treasurer’s Report December 2013
5. Draft Audit Report
6. Secretary’s Report
7. Approval of Minutes: December 9, 2013 (open and closed); Special Closed Dec 13, 2013
8. 4:30 PM– Closed Session: Acquisitions, Litigation, Personnel **
9. Motion(s) as a result of closed session discussion
Next Meeting: Monday, February 11, 2013
**This item will be held in Closed Session pursuant to RIGL 42-46-5(5) (acquisitions: confidential at this time), RIGL 42-46-5(2) (litigation: updates for Champlin’s Marina Expansion –RI Supreme Court Case #2009-113,114,115-M.P.), and RIGL 42-46-5(1) (personnel-Admin Assistant wage request).
Those requesting interpreter services for the hearing impaired must call (401) 466-3200
48 hours prior to meeting date. TTY: 711.
Posted: January 8, 2014
The Town of New Shoreham hereby requests sealed bid proposals for the following services:
- BOILER/BURNER CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
- BRUSHCUTTING & CHIPPING
- CLEANING OF TOWN OFFICES/LIBRARY
- CLEANING OF SEASONAL FACILITIES
- CONTAINER SERVICE
- FUEL OIL
- HAULING OF MATERIALS
- MOWING & TRIMMING -ISLAND CEMETERY
- MOWING & TRIMMING - TOWN PROPERTIES
- PORT-A-JOHN SERVICES
- ROAD MATERIALS
- ROAD WORK
- TRASH REMOVAL AND TIPPY CANS
Information is available on the above bids by calling the Town Manager’s Office @ (401) 466-3210 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., email firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Town’s website at www.new-shoreham.com. Submit proposals in an envelope clearly marked with one of the above “services” and the bidder’s name should also appear on the outside of the envelope. Bids will be received in the Town Manager’s Office, #16 Old Town Road, Block Island, RI until 10:00 a.m. local time on Friday, January 31, 2014 and then shall be opened and read aloud.
If forwarded by mail, the sealed envelope containing the Bid must be enclosed in another outer envelope addressed to: Nancy O. Dodge, Town Manager, PO Box 220, Block Island, RI 02807.
The Town Manager reserves the right to reject any and all bids or any part thereof and to waive any informalities.
Individuals requesting interpreter services for the deaf and hard of hearing must call (401) 466-3200 forty-eight hours in advance of the meeting date. TTY: 711. Posted: January 8, 2014/sjg
Nancy O. Dodge
New Shoreham, RI
of hearings on an applications for Variances, Special Use Permits an Appeals under the Zoning Ordinance.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Town of New Shoreham Zoning Board of Review will be in session at the Town Hall, Old Town Road on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM for a regular meeting.
All persons interested will be heard for or against the granting of the following applications under the Zoning Ordinances:
1. Payne’s1614 Realty, LLC. Plat 5, Lot 111. Appeal of a Notice of Violation dated July 1, 2013.
2. Saxon, Peter and Kathleen. Plat 2, Lot 12. Appeal of a Notice of Violation dated October 25, 2013.
3. BIEP, LLC. Plat 5, Lot 10. Appeal by Peckham, Inc and Lewis and Nat Gaffett of a Notice of Violation dated November 6, 2013.
4. Payne’s 1614 Realty, LLC. Plat 5, Lot 111. Application for a Special Use Permit under Sections 408, 409 and 703 regarding Payne’s Harbor View Inn.
5. 1506 Block Island, LLC. Plat 16, Lot 44-1. Application by Charles and Tobee McMellon for a Special Use Permit under Section 306 (E) and Section 406 and for a Variance from Sections 306(C) and 514 (C)(2) for an addition to an existing single family dwelling.
6. Island Enterprises Inc. Plat 8, Lot 84-6. Application for a Special Use Permit under Sections 113(B)(4) and 309 (E) to create a twenty-seat restaurant in the barn to be open during the winter months.
7. Temple, Lynn and Martha. Plat 8, Lot 134. Application for a Variance from Section 306(C) for construction of a detached garage.
8. Donnelly, Howard. Plat 8, Lot 40. Application by North Atlantic Builders for a Variance from Section 306(C) for construction of a deck.
NEW SHOREHAM SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
BLOCK ISLAND SCHOOL
The New Shoreham School Department hereby requests sealed bid proposals for the following services and supplies for the 2014-2015 school year (may consider proposals for up to three years), unless otherwise noted:
Information is available on the above bids by calling the Block Island School, 466-7732, (beginning January 6, 2014) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Sealed bid proposals, in an envelope clearly marked “2014-2015 School Bid”, will be received on behalf of the New Shoreham School Committee by Marsha Gutierrez, Administrative Assistant, Block Island School, High Street, P.O. Box 1890, Block Island, Rhode Island 02807 until 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 14, 2014, at which time they will be publicly opened and read aloud. Sealed bid proposals will be received by U.S. mail, Federal Express, UPS, or similar third party carrier, or by hand-delivery, but not by electronic means.
All accepted contracts will run from July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015. The New Shoreham School Committee (NSSC) reserves the right to accept or reject any and all bids deemed to be not in the best interest of the New Shoreham School Department (NSSD). The NSSC reserves the right to reject any bid not submitted in accordance with the provisions set forth herein and may waive any informalities and all bids. Conditional bids will not be accepted. Further, the NSSC does not obligate itself to accept the lowest or any other bids.
Notice of Public Hearing
Wed. January 15, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Town Hall, Old Town Road, Block Island
Proposed Amendment to New Shoreham’s Revised Ordinances
Motor Vehicles for Hire
The Town Council has scheduled a public hearing to consider changes to the Town’s General Ordinances Chapter 8 Licenses and Business Regulations, Article VII Motor Vehicles for Hire
Section 163 (b) Total number of licenses; transfer; renewal; eligibility. The proposed additions appear in italics (like this).
Sec. 8-163. - Total number of licenses; transfer; renewal; eligibility.
Paragraph (b) is deleted in its entirety and the following substituted therefore:
(b) (i) A license shall be canceled one (1) day following the death of a licensee who, at the time of the licensee’s death, does not have a surviving spouse. Except as provided in paragraph (a) involving reduction of licenses by attrition, upon such cancellation, the license shall become available to the next qualified applicant.
(ii) During the thirty (30)-day period following the death of a licensee who, at the time of the licensee’s death, does have a surviving spouse, the decedent’s legally married spouse may apply for the decedent’s license. The decedent’s spouse, if qualified, shall be entitled to receive the license, notwithstanding that the spouse may not have had a Rhode Island operator’s license or chauffeur’s license with a New Shoreham address for at least five years prior to the date of the application. In the event that the decedent’s spouse does not apply for the decedent’s license within the thirty (30)-day period following the death of the licensee, or, in the event that the decedent’s spouse at any time during such thirty (30)-day period declines in writing to exercise the right to apply for such license, such license shall be canceled. Except as provided in paragraph (a) involving reduction of licenses by attrition, upon such cancellation, the license shall become available to the next qualified applicant.
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. the Town Council will hold a public hearing at Town Hall, Old Town Road, Block Island, at which time all persons for or against may be heard and the Town Council may act on this proposal and/or amendments hereto.
Attest: Fiona Fitzpatrick
Proposal posted: December 20, 2013
Hearing: January 15, 2014